HOW TO INDUCE VOMITING
DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING
IF YOUR CAT
1. Has already vomited.
2. Is unconscious or convulsing.
3. Has swallowed an acid, alkali, cleaning solution, household chemical,
4. Has swallowed a sharp object that could lodge in the esophagus or perforate
5. Has swallowed the poison more than two hours before.
INDUCE VOMITING BY GIVING
1. Hydrogen peroxide 3 percent (most effective): one teaspoon
per five pounds body weight (up to three teaspoons per dose) every 10 minutes
or until the cat vomits. Repeat three times only.
2. Syrup of Ipecac (not Ipecac Fluid Extract, which is 14 times stronger):
1 teaspoon per 10 pounds body weight once only. NOTE: Do not give
a second dose unless approved by a veterinarian because of toxic effects on
the heart if the cat does not vomit the syrup.
Copyright 1998, Macmillan Publishing. All rights reserved.