Share:






Follow:





DoctorDog.com
Dr. Dog Cat and Dog Health Care and Pet Supplies
McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
My Account

Customer Service
Shopping Cart
Shopping Cart
Search:

 

Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook

Bug N Out Natural Insect Repellent


INSECT STINGS

The stings of bees, wasps, yellow jackets and ants all cause painful swelling at the site of the sting. If stung many times, an animal could go into shock as a result of absorbing toxins. Rarely, hypersensitivity reactions develop in dogs that have been stung before (see SKIN: Allergies).

The stings of black widow and Missouri brown spiders, and tarantulas, also are toxic to animals. The signs are sharp pain at the sting site. Later the dog can develop chills, fever, labored breathing. Shock can occur.

The stings of centipedes and scorpions cause local reaction and at times a severe illness. The bites heal slowly.

The bite of a female wood tick rarely can cause a paralysis (see NERVOUS SYSTEM: Tick Paralysis). Other common insect parasites are discussed in the SKIN chapter.
Treatment of insect Bites:1. Identify the insect.2. Remove a stinger when accessible with tweezers. (Only bees leave their stingers behind.)

3. Make a paste of baking soda and apply it directly to the sting.

4. Ice packs relieve swelling and pain.

5. Calamine lotion relieves itching.

If there are signs of an acute hypersensitivity or toxic reaction, take your dog to the veterinarian.


Contents


Copyright 1998, Macmillan Publishing. All rights reserved.


© 2014 - DoctorDog.com